The Planning Department serves to protect the safety and welfare of the public and to enhance the general quality of life for Tarboro citizens. We provide quality planning, permitting and inspection services through an efficient, professional and courteous public process.
Our office works with local residents and business people:
- To ensure that local land use conforms to local regulations;
- To ensure that town zoning regulations and procedures are equitable, beneficial, and open to public scrutiny;
- To help Tarboro honor its past and prepare for its future through conservation, preservation and development.
- To coordinate and manage the physical, economic and social development of Tarboro to enhance the use of existing infrastructure to maintain and strengthen the tax base.
Phone: (252) 641-4249
Phone: (252) 641-4236
Planning Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Inspections Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. & 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
The Planning Board and Zoning Commission of the Town of Tarboro meet every month on the 3rd Monday at Town Hall, 500 Main Street at 6:00 p.m. in the Town Council Chambers. Items for the agenda must be submitted fifteen (15) days prior to the meeting date.
- Call U. LO. CO. at 1-800-632-4949 to have all underground utilities, pipes, and wires located before you start to dig. If you accidentally destroy any utility lines, you would be liable for any damage that results. U. LO. CO. requires at least 48 hours of notice.
- Before beginning on a new job site or having an electrical service relocated or changed, please contact the Electric Department at (252) 641-4252 to have the proposed location of the electrical service spotted. Failure to do this may result in incurring charges or having to relocate equipment that has already been installed.
- Repeated additional inspections will result in additional fees, so ensure work is done per the building permit before calling for an inspection.
- Any building, commercial or residential which has not had active utilities in the last year must be inspected by our Building Inspector. You may dial (252) 641-4236 to set up an appointment. This inspection must be performed to ensure that the dwelling meets minimum standards.
- To apply for water and sewer taps, you may fill out the application in the Office of the Collector of Revenue. The order is then forwarded to Public Services. To inquire about water and sewer taps or any fees associated with connecting to the water and sewer lines, please contact Public Works, at (252) 641-4234.